- MERIL was incorporated as a cross-disability Independent Living Center in February of 1994 by four very dedicated volunteers: Merlin Huber, Twyla Morgan, Darren Tullis and J. Roger Wilson. Funding was received in July of this same year, which allowed for the hiring of an executive director.
- MERIL received a start-up grant of $51,875, operating with just one computer donated by Quaker Oats. Temporary office space was donated by Heartland Health Systems until April of 1995. At that time, staff was added and we moved to 36th Street.
- Our Maryville, Missouri office was established in 1997 on the campus of Northwest Missouri State University.
- In 1999, the St. Joseph office moved to 3715 Beck Road.
- In 2000, the Maryville office moved to 231 E. Summit Drive.
- In 2004, the St. Joseph office moved to our current location at 4420 S. 40th Street.
- In 2010, we moved our administrative offices to 3920 Pettis Road, just adjacent to our facility on South 40th Street; moving again in 2014 to 4402 S. 40th Street.
- In 2010, the Maryville office moved to 2613 South Main Street and then made another move in 2015 to co-locate with the Nodaway County Health Department at 2614B South Main Street.