How Can I Help?
The purpose of MERIL, a not-for-profit 501(c) 3, is to see to it that Northwest Missouri is Barrier-Free in regards to persons who are aging and those with disabilities securing housing, employment, education, recreation, self-advocacy, avenues for personal growth, and opportunities to exercise choice.
We would appreciate any type of help. We accept monetary donations, donated equipment or volunteer service. You can also donate to MERIL by using GoodSearch, where by searching for everyday things, you are contributing to MERIL.
Yes! I want to help connect people with disabilities to the resources they need.
Thank you for considering a donation to MERIL! Donated items help to decrease the cost of running our organization. Your generous donation allows us to spend funds directly on services for our participants. MERIL is happy to accept new items and we may even accept used items when they are clean and in good working condition. Due to safety concerns, we may not be able to accept certain items. (We are unable to accept mattresses for beds or hospital beds due to sanitation requirements.)
Here are some items that would be very helpful:
- gently used lift chairs
- portable metal ramps
- wheelchairs with feet attachments
- walkers of various portable sizes
- walkers with wheels
- canes (wood, metal, single-tip and quad-foot)
- new incontinence supplies for both male and female
- metal or porcelain grab bars (no suction bars)
- bed rails
We would love to have you join us as a volunteer!
MERIL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Volunteer opportunities include :
- Assist MERIL with necessary projects and tasks
- Assist our Community Independent Living Specialists and participants
- Bring new ideas, skills, and abilities to our organization
- Share your observations with us so we may improve and serve our participants more effectively
- Serve as a liaison between MERIL and our participants
- Help foster greater understanding between MERIL employees and the participants we serve
- Coordinate and facilitate the use of volunteers in your area
- Help us meet needs in our departments which cannot be met by paid employees alone
- Share your ideas for the volunteer program so that it will be more effective
- Serve as a liaison between the MERIL paid employees and our volunteers
- Help foster greater understanding and cooperation between MERIL departments and volunteers
If you are interested in volunteering or helping MERIL with future events, but do not see any current opportunities that match your area of interest, please complete the volunteer application and we will contact you as new opportunities become available.
MERIL offers the following to our volunteers:
- Job experience
- MERIL information
- Career enhancement
- Tax deductions (ex., charitable mileage)
- Free parking
- Great work environment
- A chance to meet and assist others
For more information or questions, please call 816.279.8558.