Telecommunications Access Program (TAP)
The Telecommunications Access Program includes the Telecommunications Access Program for Telephone (TAP-T) and Telecommunications Access Program for Internet
What is TAP for Telephone?
The Telecommunications Access Program for Telephone (TAP-T) provides access to basic telephone use (both sending and receiving) for individuals with all types of disabilities. A full range of adaptive equipment is provided at no cost for those that meet the eligibility requirements. The program provides such equipment as text telephones, voice carry over phones, phones for hearing carry over, amplified phones, Braille phones, hands-free phones and photo phones.
What is TAP for Internet?
The Telecommunications Access Program for Internet (TAP-I) provides to those who cannot use traditional computer equipment, adaptive computer equipment necessary for basic access to the internet and e-mail. The program provides such equipment as screen enlargement software, screen readers, adaptive keyboards or alternative pointing devices such as trackballs or rollerballs. The TAP-I program provides support during selection and initial usage of the adaptive equipment. The TAP-I program will not provide computers or adaptive equipment not needed for basic internet access.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
- You must be a resident of Missouri.
- You must have a certified disability that prevents you from accessing or effectively using basic telephone service with standard telephone equipment or basic computer equipment.
- You must have access to basic telephone service for TAP-T; have a computer, internet service and e-mail account for TAP-I.
- Your annual adjusted income cannot exceed $60,000 for an individual or individual with spouse. (Add $5,000 for each additional dependent in household.)
Contact MERIL for answers to these and other questions:
- What kind of equipment does the program provide?
- How do I select equipment?
- How do I get my disability certification?
- How do I get the equipment?
- What do I do if I need help using the equipment?
For more information, please call 816.279.8558.
Radio Spot – Low Vision Center and TAP Telephones
**If you are trying to read a script below and it does not automatically download, right-click the link and save to view.