Our independent living service area is predominately rural and includes the nine counties of Andrew, Atchison, Buchanan, Clinton, DeKalb, Gentry, Holt, Nodaway, and Worth. Other services are available beyond this nine-county area.
Independent Living philosophy recognizes that people with disabilities should have control over their lives, make decisions and choose options that allow them to live life to its fullest. MERIL is dedicated to helping people with disabilities and people who are aging discover their strengths, identify options, set goals and receive services to assist them in becoming more independent.
Our core Independent Living services are:
- Information, Referral & Options Consulting: discovering personally identified needs and informing of available options and resources
- Independent Living Skills Training: facilitating career readiness and choice, developing interdependence and enhancing life skills development
- Community education and advocacy
- Peer support and support groups
- Youth Transition Services
- Community Inclusion and Alternatives to Institutional Living: ensuring early discharge planning and providing options for community-based living, including the Money Follows the Person program.
Eligibility for services is based on the presence of a disability or aging and the expressed desire by the person seeking services to work toward greater independence. MERIL Community Independent Living Specialists help participants obtain information and referral, receive life skills training, explore available options, and identify personal goals.
Consumer Directed Services
Personal care attendant services provided in your home.
Registered nurse visits to your home.
Free Vial of Life kits available.
Facility assessment and consultation to enhance accessibility.
Equipment donation program and assistance with home modification.
Deaf, hard of hearing, deafblind, blind, and low vision services are available.
Interpreting services are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week (816-244-0834).